lamehobo@gmail.com



"I'm not afraid to speak out, and say things that I want to do, or do the things that I want to do, so um, I think in the end, being natural, and being, being actually genuine is what wins." - Freddie Mercury.

"All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo.

“More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, that is true perversion.” - Harvey Milk.

"Silence never won rights. They are not handed down from above; they are forced by pressures from below." - Roger Baldwin.

A passionate and sweaty protest.
Today I was in the city. I first went and saw A Serious Man at The Regent which is a beautiful designed theatre and I'd give the film 4/5 stars. It's what happened after that was important. I met with four friends in Queens Park where a rally was to be held. It was hot and sticky and Queens Park has literally no shade... It fails as a park. Anyway, besides the sweltering and sweat inducing heat we heard four... I think it was four... speakers speak about the cause we were fighting for. Same-sex marriage rights. The rally was, I think, a huge success, considering our dwindling numbers at the start, we probably had 250+ by the time it was finished. Walking through the streets shouting "What do we want? Same-sex marriage rights. When do we want it? Now." was exhilarating and awesome. Our group somehow managed to get in front of the main banner so we practically lead the whole group through the streets. I expected many boos and other crude comments or facial expressions but, as it turns out, we were just cheered on and filmed/photo'd with a few exceptions. It's surprising how many people carry a camera these days. I loved watching the Asian tourists stop and stare, I lol'd on the inside. It was just an awesome experience for a rally-virgin and will certainly be attending the next one.

Just remember, 'Silence never won rights. They are not handed down from above; they are forced by pressures from below.' ~ Roger Baldwin

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home